After a fantastic weekend of elections, political debate and presidential addresses at our historic 62nd congress in Dakar, Senegal the global liberal family is pleased to announce the election of new political leadership.
Having paid tribute to the outgoing president, Dr Juli Minoves, Hakima el Haité was unanimously elected the 14th president by congress delegates amid the presence and participation of the presidents of Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Liberal, and Gambia.
LI President El Haité becomes the second female president in LI’s 71-year history and the first from out side of Europe to take the reins of our political international.
The new LI president will be leading a dynamic team of high-level liberal politicians from 5 regions of the world:
LI deputy president:
– Karl-Heinz Paqué (FDP, Germany)
– Cellou Dalein Diallo (UFDG, Guinea)
– Kitty Monterrey (CxL, Nicaragua)
– Abir al-Sahlani (Centerpartiet, Sweden)
– Kiat Sittheamorn (DP, Thailand)
– Astrid Thors (SFP, Finland)
– Robert Woodthorpe Browne (LIBG, UK)
– Judith Pallares (L’A, Andorra)
– Omar Youm (ADF, Burkina Faso)
The congress also appointed LI past president, Dr Juli Minoves, President of Honour.